A superb Regency figured mahogany and ebony strung sideboard of the highest quality attributed to Gillows
The brass gallery surmounted by urn finials, raised on baluster shaped supports, above the shaped top with a concave center and bowed ends, over two long and one short central frieze drawers flanked by two bow fronted deep drawers one fitted as a celerette, raised on ring turned tapering reeded legs. This sideboard is in pristine condition with the finest colour and patina imagineable.
Note: Thomas Sheraton illustrates a design for a similarly shaped sideboard, The Cabinet-Maker and Upholsterer's Drawing-Book, 1792, pl. 29. A somewhat similar sideboard of earlier date and with brass gallery, was sold, Christie's, New York, October 15, 1994, lot 490, illus. A drawing from the Gillow Sketch Books dated June 6, 1799 for a sideboard table with similar outset rounded corners and reeded legs was ordered in the London shop of Gillow for Mr. Fielding of Catterall, Lancashire, is illustrated by Linday Boynton, Gillow Furniture Design 1760-1800, 1995, p. 166, fig. 92. A sideboard sold by Sotheby’s 20th Oct 03 for $31,200 shares similarities to several pieces of furniture by Gillows, including a rosewood commode supplied by Gillows, circa 1800 for Clonbrock, Co. Galway, with similar outset rounded corners with tapering stiles confirming to turned tapering feet and a 'Moving Library' also supplied to Clonbrock, both illustrated by Frances Collard, Regency Furniture, 1985, pp. 13 and 83.
Cf. cabinets in the manner of Gillows with reeded legs continuing to turned feet: a pair of cabinets sold in Sotheby's, The Arthingworth Collection, December 12, 1996 lot 165 and a single example, October 19, 2001, lot 169, illus. and a side cabinet, also sold by Sotheby's, April 19-20, 2001, lot 450.
37"h x 93"w
An exceptional Irish Regency figured rosewood, parcel gilt and brass inlaid centre table by Gillingtons of Dublin
The finely figured circular tilt top with excellent patina, inlaid with restrained brass stringing and with a cross grained rim and conforming frieze with a beaded border, above the pedistal stamped 'Gillingtons' also stamped with serial number, over an elegant tapering panelled triform pillar with terminal beaded and carved tongue decoration, above a tripartite concave platform inlaid with brass stringing, raised on impressive carved and gilded lions paw feet with concealed castors.
The brothers George and Samuel Gillington produced furniture of the highest quality and design from c1815 to c1838. They mostly traded from addresses in Abbey Street, Dublin and this inevitably led to confusion with the other well-known firm of Mack and Gibton who produced furniture of similar quality, who also traded from there. George Gillington's trade card begged it 'to be observed that his house is in the NARROW PART of Abbey Str.' (D. Fitz-Gerald, 'Dublin Directories and Trade Labels', Furniture History, 1985, p. 266).
30"h x 52"w